Food has a significant place in our lives because it is our primary source of nutrition. In this blog post we discuss how great skin starts in our gut!
Diet is an essential factor in maintaining good skin health. Consuming a nutritious balanced diet, rich in all the essential components, along with ample amounts of water helps in keeping your skin healthy, soft and supple. A nutritious balanced diet keeps your skin moisturised and prevents dry skin and flakiness. In addition to this, it also delays the process of skin ageing and early appearance of wrinkles. A healthy diet also prevents the appearance of acne and inflammation.
Following are the best foods for great skin:
- Proteins contain essential amino acids which are not synthesised by the body and need to be acquired through your diet. They are present in milk and dairy products, like eggs, meat, poultry, fish, soy, tofu, etc. and must be consumed in right amounts, depending on individual’s weight, age and sex, to achieve healthy, radiant skin.
- Proteins are the building blocks of the body and are essential for proper tissue growth, repair and regeneration.
- They are also required for the synthesis of collagen, which keeps the skin firm and healthy, avoiding loose, saggy skin.
- Vitamin C, which is present in citrus fruits and vegetables, like oranges, lemons, strawberries, bell peppers, etc. is a powerful antioxidant and protects the skin from the harmful effects of free radicals. This slows down the process of damage to the skin and the subsequent process of skin ageing.
- Vitamin C also contributes to a stronger immune system which helps to prevent skin infections and blemishes.
- It improves wound healing in case of any skin injury or blemishes.
- Vitamin C also protects the skin from sun damage by harmful UV rays.
- It also helps to produce collagen which keeps the skin tight and firm.
- Vitamin E is another powerful antioxidant which protects the skin from ageing and damage in the same way, thus improving skin health.
- It is present in foods like- almonds, avocados, pine nuts and various oils like- almond oil, sunflower oil, etc.
- Vitamin A, which is found in fish oil, salmon, carrots, broccoli, spinach, is essential for normal epithelialisation of skin.
- In case of deficiency of this vitamin, the epithelial cycle would be disturbed leading to skin disorders like, eczema, psoriasis, etc.
- Thus, vitamin A is essential for healthy development and maintenance of skin.
- It also prevents acne, brown spots and wrinkles on the skin.
- Omega 3 and Omega 6 Fatty Acids:
- Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids belong to the group of essential fatty acids which are not synthesised by your body and must be acquired through your diet.
- They are present in salmon, tuna, walnuts, flaxseed oil, fish oil, etc. and have anti-inflammatory properties, which prevents inflammatory conditions of the skin, like- acne and psoriasis.
- Fresh fruits and vegetables:
- Fresh fruits and vegetables contain powerful antioxidants which protect your skin from free radicals, which are known to cause damage to your skin and speed up the process of ageing.
- Thus, consuming a healthy diet consisting of 4-5 servings of fresh fruits and vegetables, in various colours helps in protecting the skin from the effects of ageing, and keeping it firm and healthy.
- Selenium is a powerful antioxidant and is present in nuts, eggs, tomatoes, fish, broccoli, etc.
- It protects your skin from sun damage, infections and inflammations.
- It also slows down the process of skin ageing.
- Selenium is also known to protect against skin cancer.
- Green Tea:
- Green tea contains catechins, which are powerful antioxidants and protect your skin from sun damage and the harmful effects of free radicals, which are known to hasten the process of skin ageing.
- Having green tea helps reduce the redness and inflammation of the skin and also improve its hydration and elasticity.
- However, it must be consumed without milk, as addition of milk is known to hamper these benefits.
- Olive oil:
- Olive oil contains powerful antioxidants, like, vitamin E, polyphenols and phytosterols, which protect your skin from the effects of damage and ageing.
- It also moisturises the skin, keeping it soft and supple.
- Additional Tips:
Consume lots of water: Consuming 8-12 glasses of water each day, keeps the skin hydrated and moisturised, which makes it soft, smooth and less prone to dryness, desiccation and flaking. Dry skin is more prone to infections as well as exhibiting of wrinkles.
Water also helps in digestion, excretion and removal of toxins from the body, which makes the skin healthy and less prone to skin infections, like acne.
Avoid fad diets: Crash diets are often deficient in essential nutrients required by the body, which affects the skin health.
Sticking to crash diets for long adversely affects the skin, causing appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. The skin also begins to sag down and becomes loose. Appearance of dark circles is also a common association.
These effects are seen due to rapid weight loss and nutritional deficiencies due to following of fad diets.
Avoiding fried foods, junk foods and sugary stuff: Consumption of fried fast foods must be avoided, especially in people with oily skin. Such foods are known to increase the activity of oil glands which causes clogged pores, leading to acne.
Consumption of foods with high amounts of sugar causes inflammation of the skin, which breaks down elastin and collagen, causing sagging and wrinkles. Thus, foods with excessive oils and sugars must be avoided in order to keep the skin healthy and radiant. Remember the vitamins for healthy skin the next time you are at the market so that you include foods that contain these vitamins.
When you consult with Remedico we help you find a solution for your skin type and lifestyle. Keeping a watch on your diet and eating healthy is a step towards attaining great skin.
With Remedico, consult with a certified dermatologist for all your skin troubles right from your smartphone. It takes only five minutes to complete our consultation after which we will send you a personalised treatment plan within 24 hours.