Monsoon, the season of rains, drizzles and greenery, is also the season for damaged hair and major hair fall due to the excessive humidity in this season.
Monsoon causes hair to frizz, damage, fall and break while skin to becomes damp, causing hair and skin issues. The outer layer of your hair called the cuticle is damaged due to high humidity in this weather. Thus, the usual hair and skin care routine is not enough in monsoons and special care is needed.
Keeping your hair dry:
Keeping your hair dry is essential as rain water is acidic and dirty and causes hair to frizz and dry out. That’s why, hair must be kept away from drenching in drizzles and downpours. Raincoats, caps, umbrellas, etc. must be used, if at all, one has to go outdoors in the rain.
Washing, drying and styling your hair:
- Wash your hair twice or thrice a week with a mild, cleansing, shampoo to wash away any dirt or bacteria from rain water. This keeps your hair clean and free from germs and infections. It also keeps the scalp healthy, preventing it from being itchy, dry and sticky due to high humidity levels.
- Always rinse your hair with cool or lukewarm water, since hot water damages them.
- After washing your hair, it must be dried with a micro-fibre towel or a t-shirt, as it helps minimize friction between the hair and towel, reducing hairfall. It also absorbs water quicker. Avoid rubbing your hair roughly with a towel.
- Your hair is already prone to dryness and damage in the rainy season, so a blow dryer must not be used at all and your hair must be air dried.
- A wide toothed comb must be used to detangle and style your hair.
- Tight hairstyles such as braids, ponytails, etc. must be avoided, as they damage the hair and cause them to frizz during this season. Hair must be let loose or gently tied to avoid hairfall due to traction.
- Hot styling tools like curling irons or straighteners and hair colours must be completely avoided in this season.
- A short, manageable haircut can be taken to take care of hair without any hassles.
- Conditioning your hair:
- A good quality conditioner must be applied along the length of hair to fight frizz, and to provide nourishment and strength. A wide-toothed comb can be used to spread the conditioner along the length of hair and then it should be rinsed off.
- Leave-on conditioners can also be used for extra frizzy hair.
- Natural products such as - eggs, yogurt, aloe vera, etc. can be used as hair masks and then rinsed with a shampoo. They provide extra nourishment to the hair.
- Oil Massages:
- Massaging your hair with various hair oils like- coconut oil, olive oil, lavender oil, jojoba oil, etc. is beneficial during this season. It adds moisture and strength to the otherwise dry hair caused due to humidity. It also deep conditions the hair.
- Oils must be massaged very gently into the scalp and (do not leave overnight), keet for a couple of hours on the scalp followed by a rinse. This can be done once or twice a week.
Having a healthy, nutritious diet, rich in proteins, iron, omega 3 fatty acids and vitamins helps in keeping your hair healthy and strong. Green leafy vegetables, eggs, salmon, fresh fruits and grains, walnuts, spinach, yogurt, are essential to hair health. Consuming 8-12 glasses of water a day keeps your hair hydrated and healthy.
For Dry Skin:
- Keeping your body hydrated by consuming 8-12 glasses of water each day helps to hydrate the skin and adds moisture to it.
- Moisturising your skin frequently helps in keeping the outer layer of your skin healthy and hydrated, making it soft and supple.
- Your skin must be kept clean. Use mild cleansers, instead of harsh soaps. Cleansing the skin removes dirt and bacteria and thus prevents any possible skin infections.
- Alcohol based toners must be avoided, to maintain skin’s pH.
- Sunscreen with a good SPF must be used to protect skin from damage.
- Natural products like- rose water, glycerine, etc. can be used to keep the skin healthy, nourished and glowing.
- Facials and bleaches must be avoided in this season.
- Artificial jewellery must be avoided because it can be sensitive and irritant to dry skin.
- Dry lips must be taken care of by moisturising or using lip balms or natural products like- milk cream.
For Oily Skin:
- Washing face 3-4 times a day helps to wash away sweat and extra oils off the face, but washing it too much may cause dryness. Cleansing also removes the bacteria and avoids any possibility of skin infections.
- Gentle facial scrubs can be used to exfoliate the skin and unclog pores. It removes dead skin cells and makes the skin healthy.Once or twice a week is more than enough.
- Water-based moisturisers must be used to keep oil secretions in check.
- Home remedies like milk, honey, chicpea flour can be used in the form of masks to get rid of the excess oils.
For Mixed Skin type:
- Drinking lots of water helps to keep your skin healthy and hydrated.
- Washing your face 2-3 times a day with an antibacterial cleanser keeps it clean, oil-free and prevents skin infections.
- Moisturize your skin regularly to keep it soft and supple.
- Your skin must be exfoliated from time to time to get rid of excess oils, dead skin and to unclog pores.
- Having a healthy, nutritious diet, along with lots of water, helps to keep your skin healthy and nourished.
- Waterproof footwear must be worn, to prevent bacterial and fungal infections due to growth of microorganisms in moist environments. Closed footwear must be avoided. Wash your feet as soon as you come home and make sure to dry them well.
- Skin must be kept clean to avoid skin infections and gentle pedicures must be taken regularly with clean tools, to keep the feet clean and healthy!
If at any time you do experience any skin or hair problems this season, remember getting expert help is a simple and quick process with Remedico. You can start your consultation immediately from wherever you are — answer a few simple questions, upload some images, and you’re done. From start to finish in as little as 5 minutes. You will then receive a personalised treatment plan and follow ups from our team to help you maintain glowing and healthy skin and hair throughout this hot season.
If you have any additional thoughts, ideas or suggestions with regard to the content above or anything skincare related – do write to us. We are always excited to hear from all of you!